As we age our bone density reduces, meaning our bones become more brittle & the risk of osteoporosis & fractures increase. While both men and women can suffer from osteoporosis, post-menopausal women lose bone density more quickly putting them at a higher risk than men of the same age. Worldwide, the ratio of hip fractures between women & men is 2/3rds to 1/3rd.
There are several things that can help optimize bone health, including:
– Eating a balanced calcium enriched diet
– Keeping to a normal healthy body weight
– Participating in regular weight bearing exercise
– Minimizing alcohol intake
– Remaining smoke & vape-free
– Developing emotional resilience
A bone density scan is a good measure for assessing bone health with self-referral to Medex or Bay Radiology an option within the Western Bay of Plenty PHO.